Tel. 93 803 12 68


Regarding the intake of human medication, we can think that the body of our pets is the same as ours, which are simply smaller, but in fact, it is not. At the internal level, we have different mechanisms that make them unable to take things that might seem harmless to us.

For this reason, it is the responsibility of the veterinarians to inform the owners that they should not give their pet’s medicines of human use without optional pre-registration. In the same way, the veterinarian must be informed when an ingestion is taken accidentally. Example:

Ibuprofen could occur but in doses much inferior to ours and to give the right dose we must give a very small fraction of tablets. The danger is that in dogs the difference between the effective dose and the dose from which we have side effects is very small. This makes it very easy to give a dose too high and that our dog starts to feel bad (at least digestive symptomatology: vomiting, diarrhea, blood feces).

Paracetamol in cats, and to a lesser extent in dogs, is toxic. It can not be given, because very small doses could be lethal.

For these reasons, it is recommended to give anti-inflammatory medications to avoid problems.

Human medications that cause more poisoning are paracetamol, ibuprofen, antidepressants, sleep medications, contraceptive pills and more specific medications (for cardiac diseases, diabetes, …).

If at any time your pet ingests some medication for human use, it would be advisable that you contact your trusted vet. They will ask you what medicine you have taken, the amount and how much time you have swallowed it.

If we act quickly, the vast majority of medications in the clinic can be vomited and thus avoid poisoning. Some even have an antidote.

It is important to ask the question, perhaps in some cases, the ingestion does not imply any danger but in others, the quick action could save the life of your pet.

If you liked this article of intake of human medication, you might also be interested Vacation with my pet